I have received a few emails regarding how to set up a trading platform. First and foremost, if you are determined to become an active trader, you simply can NOT use browser based trading platforms that can not be refreshed until you click the refresh button. Ask your broker if they have a rich client for active traders. Any decent brokerage houses have thick clients. I use TradeStation. It is simply awesome. The Other 2 solid brokers I know of are thinkorswim and Interactive Brokers I would use one of them if I did not use TradeStation.
As an aspiring active trader, you need at least a dual monitor set-up. Computers are cheap nowadays. You can get a very decent tower for 500 dollars and 2 22” LCDs for 400 dollars(2008). My computer was built by my husband.
First, you need to buy a dual head video card. They are inexpensive and all over the place. A decent one costs around 80 dollars. Mine was 50 dollars after rebate. It has been a solid performer. Here is one example on newegg. Once you receive the card, perform the following steps.
- Power down your computer and open the case.
- Replace your old video card with the new dual head card.
- Close the case and plug in your monitor cables
Once you are finished with setting up your computer, you need to see if your computer can see these 2 monitors. Here is how to check it.
- Right click your mouse and go to Properties
- Click the “Settings” tab on top
- You will see the picture below. Click on it to have a better view
- If one is dimmed, right click on it and choose “Attached”
- Make the right monitor your primary. Right click on the right monitor and choose “Primary”
In fact, you can drag the monitors around. Do not forget to set your monitors to their proper resolutions
If you have a 24” monitor, it’s proper resolution should be 1920 X 1200
If you have a 22” monitor, it’s proper resolution should be 1680 X 1050
If you have a 19” monitor, it’s proper resolution should be 1280 X 1024
Here is my trading work station ( 1 24″ Dell, 1 22″ Acer).
|How to set up multiple monitors:|
Would you like to receive the latest trading ideas or other updates from my blog? Then join hundreds of others on my mailing list below. It is totally free and easy to opt-out.